Saturday, January 31, 2009

I Want More!

Wasn't it Ralph Waldo Emerson who said, "The world is so full of a number of things. I think we should all be happy as kings." Why is it so hard to just be content with what we have. Most of the time I do pretty well. But on nights like tonight when it's late and I should have gone to bed hours ago, I just find myself wanting more. More friends, more time to enjoy my family, more time to read, more dates with my wonderful husband, more pictures of me--(I must be the only one taking them!), more clothes, more vacations, more energy, more wisdom, etc., etc. Does anyone else ever feel this way? If so, how do you get out of this "rut"? I think I need a girls night out for some free therapy! Anyone want to join me?

4 comments:

Jared and Delia said...

I wish I could join you! I am so sorry that you are feeling out of sorts.

On my lists of wanting more:

more patience, more love, more time, more health insurance (my pink eye is driving me nuts!), more patience (did I say that already?). Yes. I so understand.

A girls night would be perfect to get out and remember everything you have to be grateful for. A girls night to the temple would be even better. I wish I could be there with you.

pianogal said...

I want a girls' night too! I wish we weren't 2 states away! I know how you feel. Sometimes I'm content with what I have, but like you, I let those little "I wants" come creeping into my brain, and all of a sudden, it's not enough. Usually it's not too long before something happens to make me grateful for what I've already got (like a girls' night!). I wish I had an answer besides "count your many blessings, name them one by one". Sometimes hymns don't even do the trick!

The six of us! said...

I know exactly what you mean. I just try to look at my sweet sleeping children each night and then crawl into bed with my dear husband and remember that no matter what, life is good, cause God gave me all that I have. But it is always nice to dream for those wants! I too would love a girls nite out, how about when you come out to visit next time?

Nick said...

Girls nights work wonders for the spirit. I love them. Wish I could have them with all the sisters. That would be so fun. I can't believe baby is sitting. I can't believe mine is standing. It makes me so sad. B and I were cracking up at the Build-A-Bear jammies. That's creative. So glad you got a picture of that one. I'm trying to take more pictures this year. I'm not in any either so I made B take several of me at the wedding. I don't like pictures of me, but I should probably have some for the future for the kids. Thanks so much for the exercise stuff! You're so awesome! Love you!