Saturday, August 1, 2009

Not Bored

It wasn't that long ago that it seemed each day went by with hours upon hours of boredom. You know what I mean. You're not really doing anything, but you can't exactly start any kind of project or game because you have a one year old ready to mix everything up, knock things over, dump things out, etc. So your time is spent sort of "shepherding" your little ones around. Don't get me wrong. I love being a mother. I love endless hugs, wiping tears and noses, (among other things). I love listening to the cool inventions they've decided to create and see what they've made with their blocks and legos. I love the story times no matter how many times we read the same book over and over again. I also enjoy the endless teaching moments that seem to come over the course of the day. Even with all of this, sometimes you just feel really bored!

Well, that drastically changed for me last week. When we first moved here, I applied for a couple of part time jobs on a whim. I thought, "What the heck?! It doesn't hurt to try, right?" I ended up getting BOTH jobs and they started last week. The first one is as a cashier at a natural foods grocery store around the corner. For more info on that, go here.

The other job doesn't actually start for another week, but I will be teaching an aqua aerobics class at 24 Hour Fitness. It's just one class a week, so it's totally doable with everything else. I am really glad to be teaching aerobics again and would love to eventually teach a few more classes.

As far as the cashier job goes....well, let's just say that I have new respect for anyone and everyone who works in a grocery store. Don't get me wrong. It's a great place to work and everyone who works there is really friendly and helpful. Also, I totally love the employee discount! (That was the real motivator to apply there in the first place). What a blessing it is to have Justin here and my parents here to help out with the kids. We've decided that we'd just keep things like this until something comes through for Justin.

In the meantime I kind of miss "being bored." The truth is I ache for my children when I am gone. I don't think that the income I am earning is worth being away from them. But in these times, we all do the best we can. Honestly, in the long run it's probably a good thing because I feel motivated to further my education. In fact last night I felt inspired to get a Master's Degree in Occupational Therapy. I think that is truly what I'd like to be when I grow up! I think being a cashier will help me to gain perspective, a little patience and some understanding.

So for now I will put that goal into mind and use this time to plan things out. I guess I'm not exactly bored anymore. I hope my children will understand. Again, I am so grateful that Justin and my parents are here. I don't know how well I'd handle things if they weren't.

So for anyone reading this and feeling bored all I can say is try to enjoy every minute and read a few extra stories for me!

4 comments:

Jared and Delia said...

Janet. You are amazing. That is great that you are looking at all of this as an education experience in and of itself. Wish we could be there to lend support as well. WE love you and pray for Justin every day!

pianogal said...

Janet, you are so wise! I loved reading this. You always have such a positive attitude toward whatever life throws at you. You are a great example to everyone around you. If "Janet Randall: Become a fan!" appeared in my FB suggestion box, I'd click on it! Hang in there! Your family is in our prayers each night.

Janet said...

Thanks everyone for your love and support! You mean so much to me.

Robyn said...

I remember how much you liked teaching the water aerobics here! I'm sure it will be just as much fun there!! The grocery store sounds like it could be fun. I'm glad for you that opportunities are availalbe for you! I'm sure you will have days when it is a nice "sanity" break.

How is life in Kansas? Is that a picture of your neighborhood on the blog header? When does school start there?

We will keep you in our prayers.

Robyn