Sunday, June 26, 2011

Just For Stacey

Dear Stacey,

    I really enjoyed talking with you the other day.  After our conversation I started thinking about all of my favorite places around where we lived in MO.  I was thinking that I'd send you an e-mail with all of the links, however...I don't have your e-mail address!  So this post, my friend is just for you.  Like I said, we only lived in Missouri for about 6 months but I absolutely loved it there!  We truly miss it and a small part of me dreams of moving back there someday.  Some of the great things that I loved about Lee's Summit area are:

Wild Child--Seriously one of the nicest children's resale shops ever!!  I remember we found a down winter coat for $7 and Sorrell boots for Kate for around the same price.  Seriously, you have to check it out.

Speaking of resale shops I haven't left you out.  Some of the best clothes I have and some of my very favorites I found at Mary Margaret's.  They have everything and fantastic deals every day.  Plus they have two locations--Lee's Summit and Blue Springs.

My favorite place to shop for specialty foods is hand's down, Natures Pantry.  I actually worked there for a little while and loved it!  The people there are so friendly and you can find anything you need--coconut milk ice cream, all natural cleaners, vitamins & supplements, coconut milk ice cream.  Oh yeah, I already mentioned that!  What can I say, it's my favorite!

The added bonus about where this store is located is that about 3 minutes down the road you have my other favorite place for groceries and family needs--Costco!  Seriously, I don't know how families live without going to Costco.

When you're not shopping, a great place to visit is Fleming Park.  There are so many beautiful hiking/biking trails.  Sometimes we would just take a drive through--it's so pretty.  Another thing we like to do was go to the marina and feed the fish off the dock.  This is also where the elk and buffalo preserve is located.  One time during the summer they had a remote controlled airplane show--all FREE!  

Another favorite park we would visit often to feed the ducks, or walk around was Waterfall Park.  (You have to scroll down a little on that page to see that specific park).  It's within walking distance of Bass Pro Shop and just a few minutes from Nature's Pantry and Costco.  I loved it because of all the trees, so that even on a hot day you had a lot of shade.

When we didn't go to the park we went to the library.  What I love about the public library system there is that one library card got you into all the libraries in the area, not just your specific city.  At first we were kind of like--"Oh this library is so small;" but they have a great story time for younger children that was always so much fun.

When we decided to go downtown we made sure we always stopped by Kaleidoscope.  There is something for everyone in the family to enjoy while you're there and the best part is that it's FREE!

Of course another important aspect of living there were the schools.  We actually lived in Lee's Summit, but attended schools that were part of the Blue Springs School District.  However, we've heard that both Lee's Summit and Blue Springs are great school districts.  The elementary school where Kevin attended was Voy Spears Jr. Elementary.  We loved the school and wish we could have stayed.  Kelly attended Delta Woods Middle School.  I was so nervous for her to start middle school, but the staff at Delta Woods were incredible!  They made it such a positive expereince for her.  Another thing that I loved about that school district is that they provided fantastic bus service--even a late bus for the middle schooler's who stayed after for sports or band, etc.

One other thing that we loved about that area was the close proximity to many church history sites.

Liberty Jail

Independance Visitor's Center

Adam-Ondi-Ahman

Far West

And you're truly not that far from Nauvoo or Winter Quarters

I think it's pretty exciting too that a new temple is under contruction.  What a blessing!

Moving is never easy.  But you are going to an amazing place!  You have to remember that you and Dave are entitled to personal revelation for your family and as long as you listen to that, nothing else matters, things will fall into place, and you will be blessed.  I'm excited for you and your new adventure.  Your family is in our prayers.
       

Best Wishes,

Janet

2 comments:

Nick said...

I just want to comment on your last post since this one is for your friend, but I'm not sure if you go back and check comments on other posts. Anyway, I can't believe all the trouble with your car! How lame! It sounds like a fun summer so far and I love the picture of the kids. I wish Carter would decide to go on the toilet. He did once last week! I'm so ready to be done with diapers. I wish we lived closer so all the kids could play. Maybe a reunion somewhere in the middle next year?

Stacey said...

WOW! A post just for me!!! I am so lucky! thank you for ALL the wonderful info. I will cherish it, really, i need to hear these things. You are an angel Janet, thank you and I appreciate your thoughtfulness. my email address is staceysherwood@hotmail.com so I will write on your blog or mine for updates on what and when and well, we know where but specifics. Thank yagain! you are wonderful!!!!! Stacey