Friday, June 17, 2011

Chocolate Cloud Cake

One of our favorite wedding presents--well maybe it's just one of my favorites, was a cookbook.  "Classic Home Desserts," by Richard Sax. 

It is fabulous!  Everything I've made from this book is tasty.  Not only that, these recipes have been collected from all over the world and have great history and stories to go with them.  It's one of those cookbooks you could sit down and read cover to cover. 

Anyway, I've mentioned this recipe a few times on our blog so for your baking pleasure I give you:  Chocolate Cloud Cake

As much as I'd like to take credit for this picture, I didn't take it.  It's straight from the cookbook.

"This flourless cake is crammed with chocolate (use only the best) and rich with butter and will fall slightly as it cools.  The center is filled with softly whipped cream and sprinkled with cocoa powder--intensity, then relief in each bite." ~Richard Sax

~ Makes one 8-inch single-layer cake; serves 8 to 12

CAKE
        8 ounces best-quality bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
         (Confession--many times I've just used chocolate chips)
        1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces, softened
        6 large eggs; 2 whole, 4 separated
        1 cup sugar
        2 tablespoons cognac or Grand Marnier (optional)
           Grated zest of 1 orange (optional)

WHIPPED CREAM TOPPING
        1 1/2 cups heavy cream, well chilled
        3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
        1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Unsweetened cocoa powder, for sprinkling

1. CAKE: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Line the bottom of an 8-inch springform pan with a round of wax paper; do not butter the pan.  Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in a bowl set over hot water. (Or like I do--in the microwave. :))  Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter until melted; set aside.

2. In a bowl, whisk the 2 whole eggs and the 4 egg yolks with 1/2 cup of the sugar just until blended.  Whisk in the warm chocolate mixture.  Whisk in the optional cognac or Grand Marnier and the optional orange zest. (I've never used either one, but I think the next time I make this I will try the orange).

3. In another bowl, with an electric mixture, beat the 4 egg whites until foamy.  Gradually add the remaining 1/2 cup sugar and beat until the whites form soft mounds that hold their shape but are not quite stiff.  Stir about 1/4 beaten egg whites into the chocolate mixture to lighten it; gently fold in the remaning whites.  Pour the batter into the pan; smooth the top.

4. Bake until the top of the cake is puffed and cracked and the center is no longer wobbly, usually 35 to 40 minutes.  Do not overbake.

5. Cool the cake in the pan on a wire rack; the cake will sink as it cools, forming a crater with high sides.

6. WHIPPED CREAM TOPPING: At serving time, whip the cream with the confectioners' sugar and vanilla until not quite stiff.  With a spatula, carefully fill the crater of the cake with the whipped cream, pushing it gently to the edges.  Dust the top lightly with cocoa powder.  Run the tip of a knife around the edges of the cake; carefully remove the sides of the pan and serve.

2 comments:

kathy reese said...

OK, I'm drooling now.

Nick said...

Mmmm...I keep forgetting to try this recipe for my mom since she can't have flour. I'll have to make it for sure next time she's here. And yay for your workouts. I pretty much missed all of baseball season, so I have no desire to workout right now. But I have also gained a couple of pounds as of late so I need to get back on the ball and that sounds like a great program. I love those kick your butt workouts. They suck at the time, but you feel so awesome afterward!