Sunday, June 12, 2011

Little Girls (& One Boy)


The above mess happened a couple of weeks ago when I sat down and tried to check e-mail for just a few minutes.  I should be grateful that she at least knew to stay in the kitchen.


I had made some homemade hot fudge a day or so earlier and she's big enough to get into the fridge and get what she wants.  Ugh.  I couldn't help but snap a picture of her.  It was such a huge mess I just put her in the shower, clothes and all!  I mean, I had to rinse out her clothes anyway.  I just wish I would have taken a minute to check her diaper before she got in the shower.......yeah.  You can tell that there was something very interesting to see on the tv because I could not get her to look at me!  Such a stinker!

*************************

Then this last Friday I had had one of those days where you feel like you just got the wind kicked out of you.  I had an e-mail forwarded to me that Kevin had been displaying less than friendly behavior all week at cub scout camp.  I know, boys, will be boys, but sadly enough his behavior had gone above and beyond simple name calling.  Ahem.  Anyway, after laying down the law and letting him know that part of his consequence would be missing the Webelos overnighter, (rock climbing wall, bb gun shooting, archery, and all).  Oh.  It was a difficult day.  Part of his repentance process included addressing the whole scout pack, leaders, and parents to offer a sincere apology.  I stood there, trying to be brave for him because we both knew how hard it would be.  Although his hands shook a little, he was pretty good about it.  I couldn't help but cry--thank goodness for sunglasses!  It's horrible to know that your child has hurt someone else's feelings so bad that they are contemplating leaving your scout pack.  It was a very low day for me to say the least.

So after I had dropped him off and made sure someone brought him back because he would not be staying the night, I walked in the door at home to this little revelation.



I know you are asking yourself "What is that?!"  That would be a piece of crayon stuck in Kate's ear. Not an orange crayon either--it's scarlet.  I mistakenly called it orange.  I walked in  and she said, "Mom, I can't hear out of my ear."  Why is it when my kids say things like that my first reaction is that it is some kind of joke.  "No really Mom, I can't hear.  There's a crayon stuck in my ear."
  Seriously?!
I asked her how long this crayon had been stuck in her ear.  She just shrugged her shoulders.  So I start thinking about how many baths she's had recently or anything else that would have made this situation worse.  And I finally think to ask her when she put the crayon in her ear.  Whew!  It had been earlier in the day.  She thought I was wanting to know how many minutes/hours, etc. and of course she had no idea.  I tried our trick of super glue on a q-tip, (with 4 kids this ain't our first rodeo), but unfortunately it didn't work in this situation.  Oh Man!

So I ended up taking her to urgent care.  I knew it wouldn't take much to get it out, but I didn't have the right stuff and I definitely didn't want to make things worse.  So ridiculous! 

With all the craziness these little girls add to life, I wouldn't have it any other way.  (O.k. yes, I could do without going to urgent care for a crayon in the ear).  What I mean is that I love my kids.  I love being a mom.  And these are the days that we will look back and laugh about.  (O.k. I'm wrong again.  I will never laugh about Kevin and his bad choices).  I will laugh at the crazy antics my kids come up with and I will miss them when they're grown.

3 comments:

How Sweet It Is-A lifestyle blog said...

Awww that must have been VERY hard for Kevin and you! I know as parents we have to teach the lessons that are the hardest. But good for you. Nobody likes to get their feelings hurt. You are a good mom :) and I'm sure Kevin will remember this lesson forever.

pianogal said...

Ooooo, those teaching moments are sometimes not fun, even though we have to do them. I feel your pain (and I would have been crying too!). I agree with Patty, you're a good mom. :)

Delia said...

Sorry to hear about Kevin. You are a wonderful mom. Kevin and your girls are so lucky to have you.

That crayon ear thing creeps me out. I hope we never have to deal with that one.